Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Where do I put my purse?



One very common question when it comes to etiquette when dining out is, "Where do I put my purse?" Here is the answer straight from the leading experts at the Culture and Manners Institute.


Purse or pocketbook should be off the table during a meal. Either place the purse on your lap under your napkin, or if it is one of those giant saddle bags that you are hauling around like a piece of luggage, place it on the floor either between or touching your feet. Do not sling the purse over the back of your chair, where it might hinder traffic and it is an easy target for pick-pockets. Well, that and it is really embarrassing when you stand up and the chair falls backwards.


Gentlemen, if you are reading this and saying, "I am feeling a little cheated, because I don't have a purse...or a man bag." Here's one for you: Do not flip your tie over your shoulder during a meal. Learn to eat neat.

To receive your own weekly etiquette tip sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment