Tuesday, September 27, 2011

So you've decided to go to the career fair......

Okay, so you've decided to go to the career fair to network with employers, to learn a bit about opportunites available, or just to get some practice. Congratulations on taking that initiative!
A common question that comes next is "What do I say to employers once I get there?" There are two things that you will need at your disposal......
1.) Your 60 second commercial:
You may have heard about the 60 second commercial, but in case you haven't here you go.
Your 60 second commercial is a way to introduce yourself to employers and covers Where you are now, where you've been, and where you are going.
Here is an example:
"Hello. I'm Dot and I will graduate in 2012 with my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication."
As a student here at Marquette, I have had the chance to gain leadership and organizational skills through my involvement in the ABC club. In addition, I have worked for two years as a server at the Annex allowing me to gain valuable customer service experience.
I am seeking an internship in the field of public relations for next summer."
2.) Follow up questions for employers to get the conversation:
Follow up questions are key to getting the conversation started and give the employer something to respond to.
Here is an example related to the previous 60 second commercial:
"Can you share with me any opportunities within your organization that might fit with my skills and experience?"
Remember, practice makes perfect so be sure to practice before the career fair.
Happy networking!
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment