Friday, September 2, 2011

My First Week in the CSC!!

I just started as the Employer Relations Coordinator in the CSC. This is my first week, and so far I really see how much the Career Center helps students get on track to obtain their goals and possible careers they would like to pursue. In addition to all the hard work the staff does in order to help students, everyone has a positive attitude and a great sense of humor.
I have had the opportunity to meet all the Career Counselers, all of whom strive to put students on the right path to success. Kristin, my boss and Employer Relations Manager/Assistant Director of Career Services, took me out for lunch so I could get a look at the Marquette campus. We ate at Tory Hill Cafe, and I got the lobster bisque! It was one of the best soups I ever had. I would definitely recommend this. She has done a great job getting Kohl's and other large companies to come promote job opportunities.
O-Fest, which took place yesterday, was very exciting. All the different organizations around campus set up booths in the Central Mall. A Kohl's representative, Aria, came with some give-aways and gifts. The CSC and Kohl's were giving away Kohl's bags (reusable bags that would be perfect for carrying workout clothes), flash drives, leather padfolios, high lighters, business card holders, ice cream scoops, chip clips, and a huge Oscar Meyer stuffed hotdog pillow! Students came by and learned some information about what the CSC does and tips for interviews. It was a great chance to meet several students on campus and get our name out there.
Most of the students I have met so far have been excited about the services offered in the CSC. From resume and cover letter critiquing or help, mock interviews and interview skills, assistance in discovering what major would work best, and even what jobs are available with the particular majors are all things that students have come to see the Career Counselers for here in the CSC. We also have walk-in hours if students want some quick help on resume writing and things like that. The CSC will have two Career Fairs coming up on September 28 and 29. There will be several employers on campus looking to talk to students about internships and job opportunities. I would encourage all students to attend since the feedback I have heard about the previous fairs from students has been wonderful.
I am really looking forward to meeting all the employers and students who come visit the Career Services Center. Good luck to everyone with the start of a new semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment