Monday, October 31, 2011

Boo! Don't Be Afraid, Just Do It!

I often tell people that as a student, I was a great example of what NOT to do. I think I spent most of my time paralyzed by indecision and looking back I realize that the best thing I could have done was... anything. I was so worried about making the perfect decision, the perfect plan, and having everything all figured out that I didn't do anything for fear that I would go down the wrong path or waste my time.

As a Career Counselor I now meet with students who act similarly to how I acted way back when. I am always so excited about this because they have a chance to do better than I did! And it is simple... but you have to start.
  1. Think of a couple of things that you like. Kids? Sports? Animals?
  2. Go here to find a couple of student organization to research; join one or two that reflect your interests.
  3. Volunteer - you may love what you are doing, but if you hate your experience, you just ruled something out!
  4. Get a part-time job or an internship related to your interests. As you dive deeper into your interest is it still something you want to do?
  5. Ask people about their jobs and their career paths. You will probably be surprised to find out that most people do not follow a straight path from their major to their career.
If you are anything like I was, you may not know how to start and that's okay! Come to the Career Services Center and we'll help you get started... but don't let fear get the best of you.


Happy Halloween!



No comments:

Post a Comment