Friday, August 26, 2011

Does Your Career Success Resemble the Mob?

One of my contacts in our field recently informed me about a new series of articles that Yahoo is producing on the Job World. I was immediately intrigued because of the rather unique title:

"Mob Rules Apply to Career Success: The Goodfella's Guide to Effective Workplace Communication"

If that doesn't draw your attention, I don't know what does. Once I started reading the article, I quickly realized that it made perfect sense. There are many times in a day, in a week, and in a month that people inadvertently put their foot in their mouth, or somehow otherwise hinder their career outlook. Often, you don't even realize you are making an error until well after the fact.

Listening in a job, especially when you first begin your job, can be the best thing you can do. By all means, ask questions when you have them, but keeping the idle chatter to a minimum, if not always than at least at first, can help you avoid digging yourself a hole before you ever have a chance to succeed. There is a reason sayings like "Less is more" exist after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment