Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why I Do What I Do

College, to me, was an up and down time of fun, uncertainty, learning, frustration, independence, love, confusion, change, set-backs, and growth. My college experience began when I filled out an application for Marquette University and, when asked which college/program I was interested in, I selected all but one or two. I was admitted to the (then) Master of Physical Therapy program and was on my way (…and VERY excited that I would not need to make any more decisions for 6 years.).

I started out as a Human Biology major (similar to Biomedical Sciences), but had a rude awakening during Organic Chemistry II when I spent every waking hour studying and managed to score a 29% on my first test and a (much improved) 42% on my second test. Needless to say, I dropped the course and changed majors to avoid undesirable academic consequences. I swapped my major for my minor and continued on in Psychology.

I loved psychology. I still love psychology. And I had a great psychology professor named Dr. Berkowitz (currently enjoying life at the University of Missouri - St. Louis… oh, and he co-founded ComedySportz—cool, huh?). One particular encounter stands out to me when I think about Dr. Berkowitz. One day I was in his office for my semesterly advising session. As we were talking, he looked at me and said, “Why are you in the Physical Therapy program?” I had been wondering the same thing lately, but was so scared of the possibility of not knowing what I was going to do for the rest of my life, that I became really defensive. Wouldn’t it have been interesting if I would have engaged in that conversation, though?

After a lengthy journey with many detours, I look at where I am now and know that I am in the right place. Would I trade in my path? No, because it is mine and made me who I am today. Do I recommend doing things the way I did them? Probably not. I truly believe my journey led me here and I found my way to this place in order to help students be more intentional about their path. That doesn’t mean that you have to have any answers; it just means that you need to put some thought into what you are doing at each stage of your life, start thinking about goals, and really experience life. I do what I do so I can help young people explore all that life has to offer and, hopefully, be a guide for each student on their own personal journey.

I see life now as a time of fun, uncertainty, learning, frustration, independence, love, confusion, change, set-backs, and growth… and I am loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment