Wednesday, February 9, 2011

101 days until graduation

Applying the 5 stages of COPING to an event many of you are experiencing:

LIFE AFTER MARQUETTE!

Perhaps you have already been accepted to graduate or professional school or you have already found a professional position, or are on your way to a post gradaute service opportunity...but those who haven't here are some tips to get you through.

DENIAL --- What's the first thing you do? Pretend that May is much further away. Pretend you have your old summer job to fall back on. Pretend that you will live in a big house with all of your best friends forever! Pretend that you can count on mom and dad to still be writing the checks.

You avoid the Career Services Center.

ANGER --- "%$@^##& job market!" You start to think that you should have chosen a different major. You wish you had a better experience to put on your resume. You hate your roommate who already has three offers or the other friend who is traveling through Europe all summer (she is still in denial by the way). You consider giving up and bartending in the Bahamas.

You hate the e-mails the Career Services Center sends you.

BARGAINING --- "Oh please let me get a job, any job. I don't care what it is as long as I can pay my rent." You vow to never take anything for granted again. You vow to get to work on time everyday, to work long hours, to never stay out too late again. You consider calling your boss from your old summer job.

You decide that you will do whatever the Career Services Center tells you to do just so you get a job.

DEPRESSION --- "Oh no, what am I going to do? I'm going to be unemployed forever. I give up. I am a big loser and I don't really care any more. What's the use".
You believe you are beyond help from the Career Services Center.

ACCEPTANCE --- "Ok. I'm a grown-up now. I guess I had better take responsibility for my own job search."

You resolve to do one of the following: check out the services available in the Career Services Center, stop in the Career Services Center during daily walk-in hours from 12:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m., or call the Career Services Center for an appointment (414-288-7423).

No comments:

Post a Comment