Networking is the career topic for February, so I thought I’d share some useful information and articles that HR Guru recently came out with on the topic ranging from the basic how-to’s, to why it is important for new hires to network, and common mistakes to avoid.
Here are a few key ideas to remember when networking:
1. Know what you want. Before networking, always have a goal in mind.
2. Seek Mentors. Ask for advice rather than job opportunities.
3. Networking is a two way street. Make sure to reach your contacts more than just times you need something.
4. Follow up after every interview or meeting to reiterate your interest and keep you fresh in their mind.
5. Utilize social networking sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter for networking purposes.
6. Always show appreciation for the favors you receive.
To read more in depth on networking tips and advice, visit these helpful links:
Networking mistakes to avoid
15 minute guide to networking
Demystifying the rules of networking
Why networking at work is important for new hires
Networking tips for the holidays
Are your networking skills toxic
Stalk your way to a new job
Take a quiz: Are you a networking expert? (Must join the site to see results, but it’s free.)