Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Trends Post #5: How to talk to employers and other people who might be able to help you get a job

... and other people who might be able to help you get a job

These tips and more can be found in our Networking Handout.

Questions to ask the contacts we discussed in yesterday's post include:

  • Do you know of any openings for a person with my skills?

  • Do you know of anyone else who might know of an opening?

  • Do you know someone who has a good network of professional contacts?

How to ask…

  • Jobs/internship availability:
    “I see that you work at XYZ company. I was wondering if you could let me know if any jobs/internships are available there for Fall/Spring/Summer?”

  • Advice about a career/company:
    “I’m interested in learning more about your company. Can you tell me more about what it is like to work there?”
    “I’m interested in pursuing XYZ career. Can you tell me more about what you do on a daily basis?”
    “I know this may not be your specialty but could you please give me the contact information for someone in your company that does XYZ?”

  • Getting the name of the person recruiting:
    “I’m applying for XYZ position at your company and was wondering if you could give me the name of the recruiter?” ALWAYS say “please” and “thank you”

Now what? Contact those referrals with something like this:

“Dr. Ron Doe suggested that I contact you regarding questions I had related to your career in civil engineering. Dr. Doe is a professor of mine at Marquette University. I am currently a sophomore in Civil Engineering and am preparing to apply for co-op positions. I was hoping you could tell me more about what you do on a day-to-day basis so I can learn more about possible careers in the field.”

For linkedin... one example...

Dear Name:
I am currently a [year in school] at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin studying [Major/Minor]. I’m graduating this May and looking to start my career in the (be specific) field and am looking to connect with professionals in [State] for networking purposes. I have past experiences with [list broad experiences]. Your [specific] background on Linkedin is very intriguing. I was wondering if you would be willing to answer some questions I have about the (specific) field or offer any advice to someone in my situation.
Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.


Name (signature)
Marquette University, May 2010 Graduate[List college]

You can do that, right? Need help, practice, or a some motivation? That's why Career Services is here. Call or stop by for an appointment!

Now what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment